Swiss Bound!

Saturday, April 01, 2006

A restless weekend

It took me a while to figure out what was the problem with this weekend so far, but I figured it out.

To begin, there was a friendly poker game at Tom's apartment.



And when I say "friendly", I mean we were playing with matches. (Haha, that sounds funny)

Which was probably for the best because I forgot about the beginner's luck factor. Allow me to quickly explain. Sarah was playing poker for the very first time. I was getting decent cards, but nothing good enough to beat the luck of the beginner. Sure, I admit that I got cocky on the 2nd hand and opted to go "all in" on 2 pair. That was a ballsey move because Sarah also had 2 pair and took everything I had.

I got back into the game on account of a loan from Sarah, but I was still getting crap cards all night long. Sometimes you have it, and sometimes you don't.

Anyway, the next day there was a chocolate festival taking place in Versoix, a town just-outside of Geneva. Ben, Gustavo, Sarah and I hopped on the train to see what the hubbub was all about. Needless to say, it was rammed. WAY too many people. Claustrophobia at its strongest. And along the way we ran into more familiar faces.



We got to visit the chocolate factory in Versoix. It wasn't anything remotely elaborate that we have come to expect from Hollywood conceptions of chocolate factories, but it was interesting nonetheless. Unfortunately cameras were not allowed. Damned fascists.

But at the end of the visit, we got to sample some fantastic chocolate fondue.



This kid was hilarious.



He's the poster boy for any chocolate commercial you'd expect to see. Either that or any laundry commercial that you'd expect to see.

And that was it. Came home, and didn't know what I wanted to do. There's a party scheduled for tonight, but I just didn't really feel like going. There was another idea to go out to another club, but then again, still no motivation. I kinda felt like a movie tonight, but even that possibility wasn't satisfying.

I realized that it was more of an issue of activity. I was restless. I felt like running. Just doing something slightly strenuous. I didn't play soccer last weekend. And that might just be the problem. I'm overdue for something physically exhausting. I just need to get the lead out of my bones.

Let's hope a bit of ultimate frisbee this Sunday will do the trick.

1 Comments:

  • never attest poor poker playing skills to "getting bad cards...all night long"

    good cards help, but what really matters is what you do with what you are dealt. You can do wonders with a "2, 7 offsuit" if you play 'em like pocket Queens.

    Moral: don't play like a girl, unless your name is Sarah Deardorff.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:37 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home