Swiss Bound!

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Italia! That's Amore!

Well, I did it. I kept my promise about going back to Italy.

If you can't remember when I made the promise it was on my Olympics blog post. But anyway, so yes...long story short, I had postponed my trip to Poland in liew of heading out with my compadres, because well...to be honest, I kinda wanted to know what it felt like to travel with people, and also to be able to spend quality time with good people that I have no idea when I'll ever see again.

That's pretty cynical of me to say, but that's how life plays out sometimes.

Anyway, so let's take a look at the key travellers:

(from left to right: Sarah, Faautu, Sina, Tom, Gitte, the Alanosaur)



The first stop was Florence...simply a beautiful city. The hostel was fantastic, easily one of the best I've stayed in so far. And the weather was amazing.



And I would like to point out that, Florence was just the beginning of the crazy sunglasses pictures. I dunno what happened out there...but I guess somewhere along the way we decided to "blend in" with the culture...as well as the other tourists, and purchase ridiculous looking sunglasses.

And in the process...ended up making equally ridiculous sunglasses adverts.



So with one night in Florence we quickly made our way south to the small town of Siena. Needless to say, Siena was also amazingly beautiful.



But just before we fled the town, we managed to secure a bottle of what had to be one of Siena's cheapest wines. We dubbed it, "Budget Wine"! 1.5 litres for 4 euros!



...and then to our main destination of Cinque Terre.

To our delight we found the first and second Easter Bunny...and Tom found the first Easter Lion...now ever recorded in history.





At this moment, I'd like to take this opportunity to interrupt this picture-fest to announce the arrival of Tomazinho Caesar!



In this episode, join Caesar as he looks upon his lands, dreams about his next conquests, gives praise to his citizens, and commands his loyal servants!






From there it was on to Rome and our final destination...

Apparently, these days in Rome, Tony Danza is the Boss. These freakin' signs were everywhere. It was a Danza-Extravaganza!



A few things to note about these Rome pictures: 1) Some of you already know that I went to Rome back in December. So most of these pics are of people and of odd/artistic things that I felt like shooting a photo of. 2) The Fonz was everywhere in the city too. Ehhhhh!!! 3) And for anyone who's read the book, "Angels and Demons", the next picture is of the angel, in Piazza del Popolo, who is pointing towards the Vatican.



Finally one of the many highlights of the trip had to be the following.

As we were walking back to Piazza Navona, we came across (what appeared to be) a giant canvas and frame. And as you can clearly see, it was simply too much to resist.





If I had to describe this trip in one word, I would say: "hilarious". As soon as I got home, with no exaggeration, I immediately sat down and laughed for a solid 20 minutes, from just thinking back on all the things we had done and talked about.

It was quite possibly the best trip I've ever taken. We shared entertaining stories, saw strange and wonderous sights, did stupid and silly things, and ate a ton of amazingly delicious food. And despite the summer rain we had in Rome, there isn't a single thing that I would change if I had to do it all over again.



Many thanks to my travel-mates. You guys made the trip what it was. And I'll never forget this.

3 Comments:

  • great pictures Al!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:46 a.m.  

  • Hey Alan! Great pictures! Due to many reasons it was probably the best not to travel at that moment. I'm sure it was a wise decision, but now, looking at your pictures and reading your "report", I cannot help to feel a little bit of regret.

    But that's life!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:06 a.m.  

  • Let me explain better the comment above: my reference is to the fact that I decided not to join the gang in the trip to Italy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:07 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home