Swiss Bound!

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Happy Swiss National Day!

So the long weekend...

Yes, we also experienced the long weekend, due to the fact that August 1st just happens to be the Swiss National Holiday. So essentially the weekend was as follows:

SATURDAY:
I cooked. And I mean cooked. I made enough spaghetti to last me the next 4 days. Only problem was that I wasn't sure how long the shrimp that I put in it would last. But I'm still alive and typing, so it's probably still good. Afterwards, Farhad and I ran out to meet up with people at birthday party, and then we went off to pre-Fete de Geneve festivities. The music was okay, the company so-so. The first "so" to the 1 American guy, 1 Belgian guy, 1 Irish guy, and 2 Belgian girls. I also met a couple of Argentinian girls and this is where the second "so" comes from. One of them was drunk out of her mind and just really spoiled the evening by running off and having wild mood swings on account of her drunkenness. Sorry Valaria, but your cousin is crazy.

Anyway, I pretty much headed back home by myself, but I really wasn't feelin' it, and I surely wasn't drunk enough to bother listening to the crappy music. So I ran home. Really I did. And it's funny, cuz the only times that I've ever run home was after I had a couple drinks in me. Not to the point where I was drunk, but to the point where I felt like running. I can't explain it.

SUNDAY:
The plan was to head off to this little medieval village about and hour into France, but I really had to put my foot down and opt not to go on this day trip. Don't get me wrong, the daytrips are alot of fun, and seeing the sights and sounds and experiencing the culture is great, but once in a while you really just need to rest and let it all sink in.

So anyway, I basically had the whole apartment to myself on Sunday. And you know what I did? Abso-freakin'-lutely nothing at all. I really just let my brain vegetate for a good 24 hours. I ate, watched a whole bunch of Family Guy episodes that I missed, ate some more, watched "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", made some phone calls, ate some chocolate, then watched "Donnie Darko".

Seriously, this was by far one of the most enjoyable days since I've been here. It was only after this day, that I realized that every once in a while, or even just once a week, you really need to have some serious time to yourself, and not have a single task on your mind. I mean, most of the time, I'm usually with Farhad, or we're in rooms across from each other. And this is to the point where I'm essentially spending more time with him or around him, than I did with my family, when I was still living with them. That's insane. No offense to Farhad either, he's great to live with, but I guess I'm just so used to doing my own thing all the time.

And to have a entire day of not having to think. And I really mean "not thinking" because I was purely going about the day on pure feeling. To the point where I actually had to force myself to clean the apartment because I was so relaxed.

I'm sure that alot of you are reading this and asking yourself, "What is he talking about?" But honestly, when you work every day, 40 hours a week, there really isn't any down time to yourself, because when I get home each night, I'm always thinking about what I have to cook/eat for dinner, and what's for lunch the next day, and what I'm gonna wear, and what I still have to do at work the next day. And it's the little things like those, that prevent you from being completely at ease.

Anyway, pretty much by the end of the day, I was completely relaxed. A feeling that I had truly been lacking over the last month. For me I think it's especially important to just think about absolutely nothing, partly because of my work. Because I'm a Graphic Designer, I'm always contemplating the next design: "Does this make sense?", "How does this design work?", "What do I need to do to convey this message?", etc. And really, the down-time of not having to think of anything at all, I think, really helps to come back into the new work week, being/feeling completely refreshed.

Once again, don't get me wrong, I love the day trips. But it's just another thing
that occupying my attention and requiring my focus, because I'm a photo-taking-crazy-maniac that is relentless on my quest to photograph the beauty of Europe. And I really don't feel refreshed at all after the day trips. In fact, it's completely the opposite. I feel exhausted and drained. Sure it was fun, but it's gruelling.

MONDAY:
Anyway, Monday was pretty much the same as Sunday, with exception to the fact that I opted to help Farhad wash and clean his brother's car, as he was returning it back to his brother the following day. Later that night, we met up with the people from the birthday party, down by the waterfront to watch the fireworks. Only problem was, was that the fireworks were happening everywhere else but the waterfront. I guess someone had gotten a hold of the wrong information and gathered about 500 people at the waterfront to see fireworks being shot off in the distance at various locations that were not near the waterfront. What I still don't get is, if there weren't meant to be any fireworks at the waterfront, then why the hell were they selling tickets/admission at the gates to the pier that extends out into the middle of the lake?

In any case, that's just about wraps up the weekend, in a rather lengthy blog entrie without any pictures. And that's partly because I don't even think that took any pictures at all last week. Wow. That's gotta be a first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home