Swiss Bound!

Friday, June 17, 2005

Tips From the Unexpected-Adventurer Traveller

What's the best way to see new sights when you're travelling?

Certainly not with friends who've invited you to a birthday bbq down by the park near the waterfront, who tell you to meet them at 7:30pm at the train station, so that everyone can meet up to go find a suitable place to bbq, and then head on out to the musical festival that's taking place at another park...

...yeah, so you can see where this is going...

Coming from Hamilton, and only having stayed a week so-far in Geneva, I remain on the notion that public transportation swings by all the time, and there's always plenty of time to meet up with people. Yep, the good ol' HSR. That's always a surefire bet. Yeah, I still think that it takes like 5 minutes to get anywhere. Where in fact, it took about 20 minutes to get to where I needed to be. So by 7:50pm when I arrive, there's noone to be found.

Picture this, I've got a pack of sausages in my hand, that are quickly becoming lukewarm, and there's noone around to be found. My choices are this: head home, or consult the nearest bus-map and find the nearest park by the waterfront that the group may or may not have gone down to BBQ at. I opt for the latter, as I've got nothing else to lose except for my sausages and my right foot which has been screaming at me to sit down and take a break (really, I have no idea how people can wear hard-soled black shoes to work everyday).

Anyway, to my delight and utter orthopedic pain, the waterfront parks are amazing! I've never seen mountains so enormous and so close before. There's really a majestic quality to the view. Throw in some authentic european architecture and culture along the waterfront as well, and it's near heaven on earth. My apologies for no pictures, but the sausages were starting to sweat, and I was near-ready to hack off my right foot.

In any case, it was great little bit of exploring, completely on the second, with only blind faith and ignorance to guide me, and it turned out okay. So sometimes sticking to the plan doesn't always work out...well, we'll see...if that's what my friends tell me when I see them at work on Monday. Happy 30th Birthday James.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home