Swiss Bound!

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Hamilton, Toronto, Paris, Geneva...The Adventure Begins...


It's been 12 hours in what will be my new home for the next 14-months, and already it has been an eye-opening experience.

Let me begin, by saying that the weather alone is worth the costs entailed by the internship. It is a beautiful and comfortable 18 degrees. And there isn't a cloud in the sky to blemish that big blue ocean above us. And seeing as how the weather in Southern Ontario was a disgusting humid cloth that would cling to your skin as soon as you stepped out from beyond the air conditioned confines of the home, I whole-heartedly welcome this blissful Swiss weather.

The facts that you are about to read have not been blemished or exaggerated in any way.

Almost everything that you've ever heard about the "myths" about air travel, or the so-called "cliches" about air travel/airports happened on the flight to Geneva.

1. Really really small seating compartments. Okay, I know I've gained some weight, but am I supposed to feel as though I'm strapped into an electric chair? I can adjust my butt 1/4 turn, but already the rest of my body is hanging out in the middle of the isle.

2. My body that hangs in the middle of the isle, must now consistently dodge the massive food and drink trolleys that periodically make their way up and down the isle. Add to that, the fact that people's butts are glancing off either my face or shoulder. I feel like Indiana Jones, and hopefully I'll be able to make it off plane alive.

3. I really really really hoped that this wouldn't have happened, but you guessed it, I got seated beside the sickest man on the entire plane. I'm not kidding, this dude was coughing up a storm of phlegm that was gurgling in this throat, just itching to launch out. Having this in mind, instead of attempting to stifle and control his sickness, and instead of coughing towards his family, he opted to direct the disciples of his disease in my general direction. Needless to say, I was gagging the entire time. If I happen to be admitted to a Swiss hospital in the next week, you know how it happened.

Okay since I don't have time to write more in greater detail, here are the rest of the exciting details from the Air France flight:

- the flight was delayed by 20 minutes on account of the pilots showing up late

- passengers think they own the plane and will make every effort to claim seating from late arriving passengers

- kids are annoying on a 7-hour flight

- the food, on the bright side, was surprisingly good! The portions aren't as small as I've heard. And can you believe they actually serve creme brulée cheesecake?

- yes, the packets of peanuts is quite small

- did not take the opportunity to verify Jerry Seinfeld's observational humour by checking to see if the airplane bathroom had a slot for used razor blades

Anyway, the real big problem over the course of the flight was that I had requested a window seat. And what did I find when I boarded the 2 flights to Geneva? I got a crappy aisle seat from the long flight from Toronto to Paris. No, not even the aisle seat closest to the window, but in fact the aisle-centre section. Look, I know there are 2 flights I have to take, but isn't the idea to give me the window seat for the longer of the 2 flights? Especially the one that I first boarded!? Anyway, I did eventually get the window seat on the smaller connecting flight from Paris to Geneva, but of all the window seats I got the one right at the back of the plane, where I can see the flight attendants preparing the "lavish" drinks in that NyQuil cup of a kitchenette. Oh yeah, I got a nice view of the plane's fusalage (for all you aviation nerds out there).

I do have to mention that the Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris is veritable heaven on earth. This place is astonishingly beautiful! Incredible architecture! The bridge/ramp to board and leave the plane is like walking through the pearly gates of heaven. Definitely makes the departure of your flight feel important!



Anyway, as I got my luggage and such, I was picked up by my friend Albert, whom I've actually known for the last 3 years as he also went to McMaster as well! And after those 2 flights, it was definitely a sight for sore eyes! I also finally got to meet Jean-Louis, a Friar at FI, and we made our merry way back to home sweet home. (not much of an ending, so just keep reading the next post)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home